What Does An MOT Test Actually Test?
An MOT Test checks that your car meets the minimum acceptable road safety and environmental standards required by law.
The following list, taken from the Department for Transport’s MOT Testing information, describes what’s included in your MOT Test:
- Body & vehicle structure: Free from excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas, no sharp edges likely to cause injury, towbars for security and condition.
- Fuel System: No leaks. Fuel cap fastens and seals securely. The fuel cap will need to be opened, so make sure the key is available.
- Exhaust emissions: Vehicle meets the requirements for exhaust emissions, dependent on the age and fuel type of the vehicle.
- Exhaust system: Secure, complete, without serious leaks and is not too noisy.
- Seat belts: All the seat belts installed are checked for type, condition, operation and security. All compulsory seat belts must be in place.
- Seats: Front seats secure. Front and rear seat backs can be secured in the upright position.
- Doors: Latch securely in closed position. Front doors should open from inside and outside the vehicle. Rear doors may need to be opened to gain access to testable items.
- Mirrors: Minimum number required, condition and security.
- Load security: Boot or tailgate can be secured in the closed position.
- Brakes: Condition, operation and performance (efficiency test). Note: removal of the road wheels and trims are not part of the test.
- Tyres and wheels: Condition, security, tyre size/type and tread depth. Spare tyres are not inspected.
- Registration plates: Condition, security, colour, characters correctly formed and spaced.
- Lights: Condition, operation and security. Headlamp aim.
- Bonnet: Securely latches in the closed position.
- Wipers/washers: Operate to give the driver a clear view ahead.
- Windscreen: Condition and driver’s view of the road.
- Horn: Correct operation and of suitable type.
- Steering and suspension: Condition and operation.
- Vehicle identification number: Present on vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1980. Not more than one different VIN is displayed except on multistage build vehicles.
For further information or to book your MOT Test, simply call us on 01538 304 306.